Regular brushing and flossing are healthy habits and necessary to maintain good oral hygiene. They are essential to remove plaque and bacteria that can cause gum diseases and tooth decay. However, it is not good enough to stop tartar from accumulating. Tartar is formed when plaque is left on teeth for a long time. It helps in the growth of gum diseases, tooth decays as well as gives your teeth a yellowish color. It bonds itself strongly with tooth enamel and can only be removed by a dentist through traditional or laser teeth cleaning.
Both traditional and laser teeth cleaning have their pros and cons. Therefore, the decision to choose between the two depends on the condition of your teeth and your budget.
Traditional cleaning method
As the name suggests, this method has been used over the decades. Most dental procedures are carried out using metal tools. Similarly, traditional teeth cleaning uses a metal tool called a scaler to scrape off the plaque from your teeth.
- It is a safe method
- Suitable for almost everyone
- A low-cost method
- Not as quick as teeth cleaning with laser
- It makes use of a force, therefore, may cause pain
- Can cause gums to bleed
- Some patients may not be comfortable due to the use of metallic tools
Laser dental cleaning
Laser cleaning for teeth uses a laser to remove dental plaque and tartar. The Laser beams can easily reach out to areas where a scaler cannot. Therefore, it is a very effective method as compared to the traditional one.
- Provides deep cleaning with high precision
- No use of noisy equipment, therefore, causes less anxiety for patients
- Causes less swelling
- Laser teeth cleaning does not hurt
- Some patients may experience sensitivity and sore gums
- An expensive method
Therefore, if you wish you choose between the two options, our dentists at Brenham Family Dental and Orthodontics can help you decide the right cleaning method for your teeth. Give us a call at 979-421-9685 to schedule an appointment with us.