Talking about the American teeth, around 120 million people in the U.S. are missing at least one tooth. And the worst part is that these numbers can grow in the next two decades. For these people getting extractions and dentures on the same day is an excellent option; unfortunately, the procedure is not for everyone. If you are in a situation where you need to get some or all of your teeth removed but are afraid to go out with missing teeth while waiting for traditional dentures, immediate dentures may be a good option for you.
You can get immediate dentures, also called temporary dentures the same day your natural teeth are removed. By getting extractions and dentures in the same day, you can leave your dentist’s office and out in public with confidence and a shiny smile. There is a chance that you need to pay a visit to your dentist before the extraction. Your dentist will take your bite impressions, measurements of your mouth, and your tooth shade. This information is necessary to create your temporary dentures. Your dentist will have them ready on the day of tooth extraction.
Advantages and Disadvantages
There are several advantages of having immediate dentures, such as:
- The exactly mimic the shape and color of your natural tooth, so they don’t give an odd appearance.
- As you receive the denture immediately, you don’t have to pass days with missing teeth feeling embarrassed.
- The dentures cover the tooth extraction site, which helps to reduce bleeding and protects the sockets while they heal.
Disadvantages associated with immediate dentures.
- They are more expensive than traditional dentures.
- You may not be able to see how the dentures will look before the placement.
- The fitting of dentures may loosen over time as the gums heal and shrink. This may cause irritation and discomfort, and you may need to visit your dentist for refitting.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call Brenham Family Dental and Orthodontics at 979-421-9685.